Homeschooling Resources for Orthodox Families
There are so many resources and options available to today's homeschoolers, sometimes it can be overwhelming to know where to start. We have compiled some resources for Orthodox families to use when organizing home education—whether you are a full-time homeschooler, or just want to do some catechetical instruction at home. We also have a full range of resources for teaching about feasts and saints throughout the church year, and we add more regularly!
The Parents Handbook for Orthodox Christian Homeschoolers from Illumination Learning
If you have not yet discovered the treasure trove that is Illumination Learning, please be sure to spend some time here! Jenny provides wonderful resources and instruction from her many years as a home educator and Orthodox Christian, as well as a wealth of experience in homeschooling for special needs.
- "Getting Started" video workshop from St. Emmelia Ministries
Orthodox Home School
Reflections, curriculum suggestions, and more from an Orthodox homeschooling father of four.
- "Life is Beautiful: Exploring the Art of Establishing a ‘Home Culture’ from which Worship and Learning Blossom" by Gorgonia Lewis (audio + transcript)
In this talk from the St. Kosmas Conference in November 2019, a homeschooling mother reflects on what makes Orthodox homeschooling work, even when we fall short of our ideal.
- "Helping Our Children Grow in Faith: What They Can Do, When They Can Do It, and What Parents Can Do to Help!" by Phyllis Meshel Onest, M.Div.
Simple ways to engage children your little church every day.
Curriculum Resources from St. Emmelia Ministries
Includes prayers, helpful links, and curriculum.
St. Monica’s Podcast from Engage Orthodoxy
Encouraging Orthodox homeschooling parents of teenagers.
- A Gathering of Ideas for Preparing for a New School Year from Orthodox Christian Parenting
- Festal Learning Baskets from Charming the Birds from the Trees
- Prayer of a Student Bookmarks from Many Mercies
- Introduction to Educational Philosophies from St. Emmelia Ministries
- Homeschooling Styles & Questions to Ask Before Choosing
- Homeschool Philosophies & Resource List
- Homeschool Laws by State from the Homeschool Legal Defense Association
Schools, Online Learning & Conferences
St. Raphael School
Classical, online classes in the Orthodox tradition.
St. Athanasius Academy
Online classes for students in grades K–12 in Orthodox and general subjects.
Classical Learning Resource Center
Online courses for students in grades 1–12 in Orthodox, classical, and general subjects.
St. Emmelia Ministries
Orthodox homeschooling conferences and podcast.
St. Kosmas Orthodox Christian Education Association
Conferences, teaching resources and more.
St. Basil Center for Orthodox Christian Thought
Classes and seminars for older students and adults.
Charlotte Mason Educational Center
Subscription-based Charlotte Mason curriculum for grades 1-12.
A Catholic Charlotte Mason curriculum with emphasis on early Church history.
- St. Michael's Orthodox School Orthodox Elementary resources from husband and wife who taught for 40 years; free resources as well as curriculum for sale.
Orthodox Instruction & Topics
- "My World & Me Homeschool Curriculum Guide" from Illumination Learning
Just released in 2020! A primer on Orthodox homeschooling for primary grades K-2, including suggestions for 40 weeks of topics and activities. Includes resources and suggestions for special needs.
Curriculum Garden from St. Emmelia Ministries
Planting seeds to grow new curriculum and educational resources, collecting and cultivating the teaching materials developed by homeschooling families, and harvesting the best practices of experienced educators in the Orthodox homeschool community.
Planning & Activities from OrthodoxABC
Excellent printable worksheets on a range of Orthodox feasts, saints, and liturgical topics.
Orthodox Basics and Holy Mysteries from Orthodox Pebbles
Another wonderful source of activities and lessons for throughout the year! There are plenty of resources offered here.
Orthodox Study Guides for Lent, Advent, and Dormition from Orthodox Mom
Versions are available suited for children or adults, these provide study information, reflection and more for the major fasting periods of the church.
Department of Christian Education of the Orthodox Church in America
Lessons, worksheets, activity books, coloring pages and more.
Department of Christian Education of the Antiochian Archdiocese
Lessons and resources for Orthodox education.
Orthodox Catechism Project
An incredible array of lessons crowd-sourced from Church School teachers around the country.
Orthodox Children's Catechism class from CLRC
For ages 8–12, taught by Rev. Fr. Michael Shanbour (paid registration required)
Feast Day "Stand Up" Centerpieces from the Antiochian Archdiocese
Printable activities for a full year of feasts.
Liturgical Music & Texts from the Orthodox Church in America
Resources for learning the services and music of the Orthodox Church, including settings in every style.
Hymn of the Month Study from St. Emmelia Ministries
Includes settings and recordings of a hymn for each month of the year.
Orthodox Hymn Study from Quotidian Typicon
- The Divine Music Project from St. Anthony's Monastery
The Society for Orthodox Christian History in the Americas
Information on various historical topics related to Orthodoxy in America.
Articles Written by Phyllis Onest, M.Div.
Succinct writings on a variety of topics related to Orthodox family life.
- Home Study Catechism from All Holy Spirit Greek Orthodox Church
- "Back to Basics with The Law of God" Catechesis from St. Athanasius Orthodox Church (see list below for link to The Law of God)
Daily Orthodox Scriptures from Ancient Faith Ministries (audio)
Reading through the entire Bible in one year.
- Synaxarion Daily Readings from Patristic Nectar Publications (audio)
Patristic Nectar Publications
Audio recordings of prayers, homilies, lectures, readings, and more.
Ancient Faith Ministries
A fantastic resource for audio recordings on nearly every Orthodox subject.
- Favorite Children's Books for Christian Families A list of books divided by virtues and topics pertaining to the Christian life. Compiled by Drs. David and Mary Ford, St. Tikhon's Seminary
Supplies & Books
Study Journals from Family Chotki
Fantastic study journals, each dedicated to a single feast of the church year.
Garden of the Theotokos Curriculum from Anaphora Press
Elementary-level instruction on the faith; download a free sample lesson.
- A Visual Catechism of the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hierotheos
- The Orthodox Study Bible from Ancient Faith Publishing
- Children's Bible Reader Online | Book from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
The Law of God translated by Fr. Daniel Sysoev
The classic catechetical text used to instruct Russian children in the faith for generations, translated into English by Fr. Daniel Sysoev of blessed memory.
Woven in His Love and Forged
Interactive studies for Orthodox teenagers.
- List of Orthodox Children's Books in Print from Melinda Johnson
- Our Mustard Seed Orthodox Homeschool Planner is a yearly homeschool planner available for the New Calendar and the Old Calendar
- Our Salt & Light Student Planner provides students with the observances of the church year along with tracking schoolwork
Orthodox Sources & Publishers
Ancient Faith Publishing
A fantastic source for Orthodox books for children and adults.
Draw Near Designs Marketplace
Orthodox calendars, books, toys and more, all from Orthodox small businesses.
Eighth Day Books
The best one-stop shop for hard-to-find Orthodox books.
Holy Trinity Publications
Titles published by Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville.
New Rome Press
Publisher of high-quality books on a variety of Orthodox topics.
Educational Orthodox books, games, puzzles and gifts.
Park End Books
Orthodox publisher on a variety of subjects.
Publisher of wonderful children's books, especially on saints.
St. Anthony's Greek Orthodox Press
Many titles in print, including "From I-ville to You-ville."
St. Innocent Press
A priest-led publishing house with several titles for children.
St. Sebastian Press
Serbian Orthodox publisher of beautiful editions on theology.
St. Vladimir's Seminary Press
Publisher of scholarly books on liturgical topics.
Curriculum Sources & Publishers
A one-stop shop for a variety of curriculum and materials for homeschooling.
A trusted name in classical homeschooling curriculum, they also offer training and conferences for homeschoolers.
The Well-Trained Mind
The original book on how to be a classical homeschooler, plus curriculum and resources in the classical model.
Classical Academic Press
Curriculum, online classes, teacher education and resources in the classical model.
Information, training, and podcasts in the classical model.
Curriculum, books, and community from a classical Christian perspective.
Learning Without Tears
Handwriting and keyboarding resources, suitable for children with dysgraphia/dyslexia or other learning challenges.
Logic of English
Reading and handwriting based on the Orton-Gillingham method, suitable for children with dyslexia or other learning challenges.
Math instruction app for grades 3-12.
Podcast and other resources for homeschooling parents, focused on reading as a family.
Resources and planning for Charlotte Mason-style homeschooling.
Five in a Row
Literature-based curriculum for young elementary children.
The Good & the Beautiful
Gentle, Charlotte Mason-style curriculum for all grade levels.
Biblical science curriculum for all grade levels.
Better World Books
Great source for used books—best for supplemental materials, though you can find some curriculum.
Another great source for used books!
You can always use more used books, right?
A Christian bookstore with homeschool curriculum and literature.